Wednesday 7 October 2015

Student of the Fedrel University..???

About three phones have gone missing in our room in the past five months. When we reported to the School's security, they only told us that it was a room mate that is responsible. Everyone of us in the room was waiting for the day we will catch the culprit.  Last Tuesday, when we were all asleep; I think it was about 2 am, Benita woke up suddenly and her phone was gone. Her phone was the most expensive of us all. When Benita woke up and couldn't find her phone, she sprang up from the bed and quickly opened her cupboard. She rummaged the contents, even removed her clothes but could still not find the phone. I was in the room when it happened; sitting and reading before I dozed off with my heading resting on my books. So when Benita couldn't find her phone, she gently shook my shoulders until I woke up. 'It has happened again', she told me.  I didn't even need to ask what happened as I could see the panic and loss written in her eyes. This is the second time her phone had been stolen. So I took my phone and dialled Benita's number; just to be sure it had not been misplaced. 'Error in Connection' was what I saw on the screen of my phone. I dialled it again and it started ringing not just on my phone, but the actual ring tone of Benita's Samsung phone was faintly audible. We were both surprised when we heard the tone. I beckoned on Benita to keep quiet as she was visibly ready to 'finish' the person who took her phone. I continued dialling as we moved silently, following the direction of the ring tone. There were four bunks in the room, each with two bed spaces. Benita and I use the same bunk just beside the door and the sound was coming from the last bunk at the extreme left corner. We tiptoed, Benita and I, like Jack Baeur until we traced the sound to the top bed space on the last bunk. 'So it is Johan who had been stealing phones in this room'. Benita whispered to me. We shook her leg and woke her up only to find out it was not Johan sleeping on the mattress. Neither of us had ever seen the girl before. To make matters worse, the ringing was coming from the bag she was using as pillow. When she woke up, she looked at us strangely as if she didn't know why we were there. We opened the bag and found not just Benita's Samsung, but three other phones. 'So, you are the one who's been stealing our phones!'; Benita shouted at her. Before she could find an excuse, Benita slapped her on her left cheek and walked out looking for anything to break one or two of the girl's bones. I don't know; but there was something about the girl. So I asked her, 'Madam, what are you doing here?' 'What are you doing with Benita's phone'.she was just looking at me without saying anything, so I slapped her right cheek with my left hand. 'ANSWER ME!', I screamed at her; waking up the room mates who were around. Johan had obviously gone to night class to read and I assumed the other three room mates who were absent had also gone to read..

No comments:

Post a Comment